A man died after losing control of a ‘powerful’ motorbike

A man died when he lost control of a ‘powerful’ motorbike he was riding in Salford, an inquest has heard.

Lewies Ball of Urmston died on November 1, 2018 at the Royal Hospital, Salford following an accident on Gildabrook Road in Salford the previous day.

Mr Ball, who has been described as a ‘normal boy who gets into all kinds of adventures’ and loves bikes, was taking part in a grand motorbike ride involving up to 200 cyclists from across the country on 31 October 2018.

READ MORE: Wigan council tax set to rise by around 3% to close £9m budget gap

An inquest into his death at Bolton Coroner’s Court heard Lewies hit a kerb on the A576 which threw Lewies and the bike into the air and the father-of-one, 26, landed headfirst suffering from a ‘devastating traumatic brain injury’.

During the inquest which took place on what would have been Mr Ball’s 30th birthday, a statement from his partner Katie Ball was read and said his loss “was devastating to the whole family”.

Katie said Lewies’ death was ‘devastating’ for the family

A witness statement read during the inquest said they saw Mr Ball in the air after hearing a ‘loud bang’ when the crash happened.

The witness statement also said they saw two other motorbikes driving by Mr Ball who were not wearing helmets and all three were going “faster than they should be” on the road.

The inquest heard how Mr Ball, who has been described as an ‘inexperienced driver’, was part of the cycle ride which started at a location known as ‘the strip’ on the A6144 in Partington and passed through parts of Trafford Park, Eccles and the East Lancs.

Mr Ball received a friend of a friend’s ‘powerful’ motorbike for the bike meet, inquest finds

During the journey Mr Ball had ‘unstuck’ from the main group, as the cohort left the M6 ​​and headed towards the Royal Hospital, Salford, the inquest heard Mr Ball had taken a left turn and had headed for Gildabrook Road in Eccles.

According to GMP Inspector Darren Hancock, police investigations revealed the bike Mr Ball was riding was a stolen motorbike which was ‘not suitable’ for the road.

Inspector Hancock said police concluded in their investigations that no other vehicles were involved in the accident.

Mr Ball’s family have requested that the inquest be adjourned to a later date for further information regarding the two motorbikes which were also seen on Gildabrook Road at the same time as Mr Ball.

However, Manchester West Deputy Coroner Peter Sigee said he was ‘satisfied’ with the information provided by witness statements and police and pathologist evidence and concluded that Mr Ball had died of the injuries sustained. during a road accident.

Speaking to the family who requested the adjournment of the inquest for more information.

Coroner Peter Sigee said: “I’m sorry we had to meet under these circumstances and I had to learn more about Lewies in this way.”

Sign up for MEN’s email newsletters to get the latest on sports, news, current affairs and more by following this link

Comments are closed.